Smart home security is huge right now as we are making more of an effort to protect our home and family. It is also a great way to achieve more peace of mind while we are away from the home as well. We can leave knowing that we have done everything necessary to safeguard our investment as much as possible.
However, in all the talk about home security, where does that leave our vehicles? Isn't the driveway and garage a part of your home as well? So, why is vehicle security so overlooked? Today, we will see why vehicle security is just as important as home security.
Even in a secured garage, people reported that their vehicle had been broken into. For this reason, it is important to familiarize yourself with precisely what it is these criminals are looking for when they find their next target.
According to a survey done by Forbes and Statista, it showed that the most stolen vehicle in America was actually a Honda Civic followed closely by a Honda Accord. This may seem surprising to you, but these vehicles topped the list because they are the easiest to break into.
Keeping Your Vehicle Safe
To prevent vehicle break-ins from happening, there are a few things you can do to better secure your investment.
• Never leave valuables in the car, even if it is only going to be for a short amount of time. Make sure to take everything with you.
• Always find parking in well-lit areas. When there is too much darkness, criminals find it easier to hide and wait. Avoid this when possible. Practice safe parking habits.
• Never leave loose change in your car where it is visible. Even just a few quarters may be all a thief needs to decide to break into your car
• Never leave your vehicle unlocked.
• Don't leave the garage door opener in your car. If someone breaks into your vehicle, they will have access to the garage door opener, which then grants them easy access to your home and other belongings. You also want to refrain from leaving the keys in the car, including a spare key for the vehicle or your home.
What Else Can Be Done?
If you have a home security system already installed, then take full advantage of all the features it has to offer. This means strategically placing your cameras, so they face your driveway and vehicle and ensuring that your motion sensors and lighting are fully operational. This way, you will be notified if anyone decides to step foot in your driveway or approach the home.
In addition, make sure you follow the safety tips we have outlined above. Leaving your spare keys, purse, wallet, and garage door opener can all cause more threat to your home security.
The thief can take your wallet and find your address and can use the garage door opener or key to break into the home. They will already know you are away from home and will take advantage of the opportunity.
So as you can see, the security of your vehicle is just as important as your home security and often goes hand in hand with one another. For more information on how to protect and secure your assets, call the experts at Supercircuits today.